*Guided Hikes are different than our Daily Regular Admission: Daily Regular Admission is a casual walk on a paved path 3/4 of a mile one way from our Ticket Booth where you pay admission to our Water fall area through our Botanical Gardens and past Historical Sites to the water fall or 1 1/2 miles round trip walk. This is a casual walk and not a hike. If you are interested in a Guided Hike- please read the information below. Please click on the Admissions tab on our top tool bar for Daily Regular Admission pricing and other valuable information.*
Waimea Valley Guided Hike Series has been revised!
Staff lead Guided Hikes are now available on Thursdays and Saturdays ONLY. Guided Hikes must be made in advance at least 3 days. Guided Hikes are lead by Waimea Valley Staff on the outter acreage of our property.
The requirements are:
- Reservations for Guided Hikes must be made in advance. We do not have 'walk in' Guided Hikes.
- You will need to give your credit card information to reserve your hike. There is a 24 hour Cancellation Policy. Your credit card will be charged if you are a 'No Show' for the hike you have made a reservation for.
- *Please email email@example.com . Hoku will be happy to assist with choosing the appropriate Guided Hike for you based on your level of hiking experience.
- All Guided Hikes have a 5 person minimum. [*Hikers have the option to pay the 5 person minimum fee if they would like to do so. ]
- When you call please leave a call back number with a answer machine or service. We may need to call you back for more information.
- Closed shoes such as sneakers or hiking boots are a MUST! No open hiking sandals or rubberized shoes such as Crocs are allowed. If you do not wear the appropriate shoes - you will not be allowed to go on the Hike!
- Those under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Those with pre-existing health conditions should consult with their physican before attempting hike.
- All participants in our Guided Hike program must sign a waiver before the start of the hike.
- The Guided Hikes are lead on slippery dirt paths, loose gravel, exposed roots, in natural terrain and in the mountains.
- Please bring plenty of water, a snack, sunscreen and mosquito repellant. Please bring your swim suit. There is a natural pool at the bottom of the waterfall.
- Please bring your camera! There are some breath taking views!
Please read the descriptions of the Guided Hikes below and select the trail you wish to hike.
*All Guided Hikes are subject to change and possible cancellation due to weather or other factors
We now offer a 4 STAR **** difficulity rating to help you with your Guided Hike Selection: 2 ** = Moderate Hike, 3 Stars *** = Moderately Strenuous Hike, 4 ****= Strenous Hike
KALAHE'E - 9:30am - 12:30pm
Climb to the top of Kalahe'e Ridge, following a switchback trail through a mixed forest of exoctic and native plants. Views of Mt. Ka'ala, Waimea's Botanical Gardens and Waimea Bay. Visit the Kalahe`e Community Restoration Site and see what the staff and community are doing to restore the Native Hawaiian ecosystems on Kalahe`e Ridge. This hike is approximately 3 miles long, 3 hours with moderate difficulty for ages 7 and above (must be accompanied by an adult). * All hikes are lead on slippery dirt paths, loose gravel, exposed roots, in natural terrain and in the mountains. Cost to participate is $35.00 flat rate per person- includes Admission. [$175.00 option] Rating= 2 ** Moderate Hike
SOUTH RIDGE LOOKOUT - 9:30 am - 12:30 pm
A little of everything is included in this hike! Get a guided walk through our World Class Botanical Gardens and Cultural Sites before heading off the beaten path to hike to the top of the South Ridge located behind the famous Waihi (Waterfall). This short, yet moderately difficult and steep hike takes you above the Waihi for some spectacular views looking down into Waimea Valley and Waimea Bay. The hike will end back down at the Famous Waimea Falls. Remember to bring your swimsuit because it might be a good day to have a swim! Approximately 2 miles,3 hours moderately difficult hike, for ages 12 and above (must be accompanied by an adult). * All hikes are lead on slippery dirt paths, loose gravel, exposed roots, in natural terrain and in the mountains. Cost to participate is $35.00 flat rate per person- includes Admission. [$175.00 option] Rating = 3 *** Moderately Strenuous
NORTH VALLEY HIKE - 9:30 am - 2:00 pm
Explore Waimea's North Valley from the ridgeline to the valley floor, traversing native plant pockets and discovering the Valley's birds along the way. There are numerous cultural and historical sites along the way. Visit the Kalahe`e Community resoration Site and see what staff and community are doing to restore the Native Hawaiian ecosystem on Kalahe`e Ridge. See breathtaking views of Mt. Ka'ala and Ka`ena Point .This is an endurance hike. The hike is not terribly difficult but it is LONG. 7 miles. 5 hours. It is recommended: to bring a sack lunch and lots of water for this endurance hike! For ages 12 and above (must be accompanied by an adult). * All hikes are lead on slippery dirt paths, loose gravel, exposed roots, in natural terrain and in the mountains. Cost to participate is $50.00 flat rate per person- includes Admission. [$250.00 option] Rating = 4 **** Strenuous Hike